At some point, we must assess the individual student for several reasons:
• To establish where the student is at one point in time as compared to the standard (pre-assessment)
• To identify opportunities for growth (goals)
• To monitor growth (formative)
• To provide individualized feedback
• To provide individualized exercises to meet student needs (differentiation)
• To establish that the student performs concert music at an age-appropriate level (summative)
Using the spreadsheet that defines quality for all learning targets (previous post), I created a somewhat-simpler assessment page. It is not a rubric. Defining what quality looks and sounds like is acceptable. I think we will start to see rubrics more and more replaced by "quality" statements because they allow for greater flexibility.
It starts with the student's current goal, takes the student and teacher together through the assessment, asks for feedback from the student and the teacher based on the data collected, and then finally the student and teacher together set a new goal and plan for improvement so that the group may continue to improve.
Here is the assessment sheet as a Google Sheet.
Here is the assessment sheet as a Google Doc.
|Partial screenshot of Individual Assessment for choral music|